Saturday, March 10, 2007

Wine Rants: Wine by the Glass

I don't like to complain much but I have a real problem with wine by the glass (WBTG). I know this is a great way to be able to sample top quality wines without having to commit to a $50- $100 bottle but WBTG has one problem...how long has that bottle been open? Recently I ordered a glass of Tobin James 'Ballistic' Zinfandel 2004 (which I had enjoyed in bottle form on two other occasions), and it was just not quite right. I wouldn't say it was bad or corked but on the contrary it suffered from being uncorked for too long. Don't get me wrong, I have had many very fresh and good glasses of WBTG but you never know if that bottle was opened on the night and hopefully within an hour or two of your meal or was that bottle left over from Saturday and it is now Wednesday?

Bottom line is I think WBTG is still a viable if somewhat risky way to drink great wines, just be sure to ask your server or sommelier when the bottle was opened. If not you will be playing the wine lover's version of Russian Roulette.

No comments: