Thursday, March 8, 2007

Beach of the Month - Kailua Beach



I was able to spend a few hours at one of the nicest beaches anywhere in the world and my new favorite beach on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. Gentle waves, amazing shades of blue, kayaking, sleeping and due to the abundance of onshore winds, kite surfing can all be found at Kailua Beach on the East shore of Oahu. When most people think of Oahu they think of the famous and often times insanely crowded Waikiki Beach or the seasonal surf breaks like Banzai-Pipeline and Waimea Bay but Kailua is a little different. It is only 45 minutes from downtown Honolulu but feels hours away in it's pace and people. The crowd here is a good mix of locals and tourists and the town of Kailua Beach is small but with some very good cafes and both local and chain stores/restaurants. Although I was only able to spend a few hours in Kailua Beach, I will definitely be going back on my next trip to Oahu.

No comments: